Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Building Up Your Skills for Self Reliance

You have heard it before:  People are creatures of habit.  The majority of us go through our daily lives doing just about the same thing day in and day out with little variation.  We take vacations to break up the monotony, but by and large, we stick to a set routine.  I am just as guilty.  However, in the past couple years I have started to try and break out of this mold.

A good way to do this is by building up your own personal skill set that will allow you to become self reliant. Now, I am not talking about harvesting your own crops and building a house with your own two hands.  But I am referring to the notion that you do not need to hire someone to come and fix your minor home repairs.  I am also referring to cooking for yourself instead of going out for dinner.  Learning how to do things for yourself saves you money, gives you a sense of self worth and can be a lot of fun.

For example, I have my own list of skills that I am want to try and start or maintain.  This is by no means an all encompassing list:

  • Marksmanship: Pistol
  • Marksmanship: Rifle/Carbine
  • Marksmanship: Archery
  • Combatives: Unarmed Defense
  • Combatives: How to fight using a Knife
  • Combatives: How to fight using a Pistol
  • Combatives: How to fight using a Rifle
  • Combatives: How to fight using a Baton
  • Combatives: How to clear a house
  • Hunting: Large Game Taking with Rifle
  • Hunting: Trapping Small Game
  • Hunting: Field Dressing a Deer
  • Hunting: Tracking
  • Fishing: Rod and Reel Basics
  • Orienteering
  • Emergency First Aid: Tourniquet Application
  • Emergency First Aid: IBD Application
  • Emergency First Aid: Packing a wound with gauze
  • Field Craft: Starting a fire with Magnesium and Steel
  • Field Craft: Starting a fire with Weatherproof Matches
  • Field Craft: Setting up a tent
  • Gardening
  • Raising Small Livestock: Chickens
  • Raising Small Livestock: Rabbits
  • Construction: How to frame a house
  • Construction: How to lay tile
  • Construction: How to wire a structure
  • Automotive:  Changing Oil and Oil Filter
  • Automotive:  Maintenance
  • Automotive:  Repairs
  • Sewing: How to sew on a button
  • Sewing: How to repair a tear
  • Cooking: How to smoke meat
  • Cooking: Over an open fire
  • Home Repair
  • Knot Tying: The Square Knot
  • Knot Tying: The Bowline
  • Knot Tying: Two Half Hitches
  • Knot Tying: Taut Line
  • Knot Tying: Clove Hitch
  • Knot Tying: Figure Eight
  • Knot Tying: Sheetbend


There are items that are not on the list that cannot be pigeon holed into a particular skill.  The other day I resolved to turn my garage into a mini man cave by Summer of 2013.  Will I be able to do it all?  Probably not.  I need an electrician for the additional plug ins I need.  I plan on doing everything else.  It is a project that I am going to use to learn how to do things on my own.

What other skills would you add to the list above?  What keeps you from expanding your knowledge and skill set?  What projects need to be done around your home that you could attempt to tackle on your own?

No comments:

Post a Comment