Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Range Report 2-24-2013


Ammo has been scarce and what little is out there is anywhere from 50% to 100% more than it was 3 months ago.  I decided that it was high time to start shooting more .22LR for the cost savings and also to help me improve my fundamentals without worrying about the normal recoil I would feel with more powerful cartridges.


I started out shooting the Ruger SR22.  My goal was to try to sink all ten of my shots in the x or 10 ring on the left bull.  My other groups tightened up, but obviously, I have some work to do.  I knew I was anticipating the shot and kept trying to just let the shot break.  Still, I had a few get away from me.


My second round was maybe a little better.  At this point I decided to switch over to 9 mm.


My first group with the M&P 9c was terrible.  Again, I realized I just needed to let the shot break and not anticipate.  My second group (in between the two bulls) tightened up considerably.  The range I shoot at does not allow for rapid fire so I took plenty of time on my shots.


My first and second groups on this final round (left bull) were not my best.  However, my third group (top mini bull) was done with a little more speed.  Obviously, that opened up my group considerably.

So, I learned a few things after analyzing my performance.  First, all of my groups (when I grouped well) were slightly lower than my point of aim at 7 yards.  Next trip, I will aim slightly high to see if I can get my groups up a bit.  Also, I need to do a better job of using my support hand to manage recoil.  I grip the pistol with a thumbs forward technique, but I think my wrist needs to be canted down more towards the ground.  It also occurred to me that I was using the dot part of the sight and "covering" my target with that and taking my shot.  If I use the top of the sight and bisect my target (essentially change my sight picture slightly), then I may get more precise hits.  I have been told that both ways of sight picture are valid, but that the "floating the dot" on target method is a not as precise.  Hopefully, if I make these adjustments, then I can improve on my groups a bit more.

Thanks for reading.  If you have any suggestions for me, then I would appreciate any comments.  As always, please share, follow me on Twitter @P_Patriot1 and like the Facebook Prairie Patriot page.

No comments:

Post a Comment