Friday, March 8, 2013

DIY Unit Doses

I usually have, at the very least, some kind of way to treat minor bumps and aches near me or on me the vast majority of the time.  I try to do this as well when I travel for business and keep what I haul with me to a bare minimum.  Lately, I have been working on a individual first aid kit (IFAK) that I can easily have on me and take with me even if I lose my laptop bag.

For this post, I am going to explain how you can prepare individual unit doses of pills easily without having to lug a bottle of pills in your purse, backpack, etc.  Not only does this cut the weight of a bottle of pills, but it also allows you to put those into any sort of IFAK of your choosing without the pills being loose.

Scissors, a lighter, a sandwich baggy and the pills are all you need.
You can see in the above picture that I have cut a square out of the plastic sandwich bag.  Take that square which was cut out from the bag and using the lighter very carefully singe the edges of the bag together on three of the edges.  Leave the fourth edge open in order to place the pills into the newly created mini-bag.  Now, all you have to do is singe together the last edge.

The end result.

Presto!  You now have packaged up a unit dose of a medication of your choosing.  A few tips for the sealing/singeing part:

  • Try not to hold the flame directly on the plastic material.  It will melt easily if you just put the flame near it.
  • As soon as the plastic starts to curl/melt, use your fingers to mush them together.  The plastic will not be hot enough to burn you.  This helps to create a good seal.
  • Inspect each edge to make sure you have not left an opening.  If you have, then simply give it a little heat and pat the sides together.
And there you have it.  Easy peasy.  I hope this helps you when assembling your own IFAK.

As always, thanks for reading and comment below.  Please share the blog, follow me @P_Patriot1 on Twitter and like the Prairie Patriot FB page.

1 comment:

  1. Really stunning post you have shared, helpful info, Me also work on ink dosing unit

    ReplyDelete