Monday, March 18, 2013

Get Home System: For Times When You Have To Hoof It

The majority of Americans drive on a daily basis.  We drive to get to work, go to school, to the movie theater, and so on.  Some cities like Chicago and New York City have extensive transportation infrastructure.  This allows some of these people to get away with hardly driving and, in some cases, not even having to own a car.  Our reliance on transportation is very heavy in all aspects of our lives.

So, what would happen if we no longer had a reliable, capable means of transportation?

This could occur in our day to day activities.  Cars break down and run out of gas.  The weather stops bus and subway services.  If you were caught away from home when these events occurred, then how would you deal with it?  Your own two feet would have to carry you if you eventually decided you had to get home!

The wake up call for me was about 2 years ago.  I had flown back in from a business trip.  My car was buried under a hill of snow and it took me about an hour to dig it out.  What normally took 20 minutes to drive from the airport to home took me about an hour.  And to top it all off, my car got stuck at the entrance to my neighborhood!  It was 1 in the morning.  In my business clothes, I had to walk with my luggage through my neighborhood to my home.  The streets and the driveway had not been cleared and were about calf deep and knee deep in some places.

I had made it home, but I started to think about what I wished I would have had to make it home if the situation had been more severe.  Aside from replacing the car (I now roll a 4 wheel drive Chevy), a good change of clothes and some supplies would have made it at least possible to walk home had the situation been more dire.

With that in mind, I have put together my own Get Home System.  The idea of the system is to dovetail with what I normally keep in my vehicle in order to cover all the basic necessities.  You will notice that the packing list below is missing some items you might expect to see.  The reason for this is because those items are always in my vehicle.  What I keep in my car and the Get Home System are complimentary systems.  I will be doing another post on what to keep in your vehicle at all times at a later date.

Pack

Eagle Industries A-III Molle Assault Pack

Clothing

  • Smartwool socks
  • Pants 
  • Base Layer
  • Mid Layer
  • Gloves
  • Stocking Cap
Food

  • Nylon Cutlery
  • 1 MRE
  • Cliff Bars
  • Jerky
  • Nuts
Water

  • Canteen
  •  Water Purification Tablets
Shelter

Emergency Bivvy 

Navigation

  • Map
  • Compass
Communication

  • Two Way Radio
  • Signal Mirror
  • Flare
First Aid

  • Sunscreen
  • Chap Stick
  • Benadryl
  • Ibuprofen
  • Band Aids
  • Adventure Medical Kit Trauma Pak
Light

  • Chem Lights
  • Headlamp
  • Lighter
  • Matches
  • Tinder
Misc

  • Cash
  • Chemical Hand Warmers
  • Ball Cap

What would you add to this list?  What would you take away?  Keep in mind weight will play a factor based on your fitness and length of travel.  As always, if you like what you have read, then please share the blog with others.  As always, you can follow me on Twitter @P_Patriot1 and Like the Prairie Patriot FB page.

No comments:

Post a Comment