Thursday, June 20, 2013

Firearms Training On The Cheap: .22 LR Trainers

The great ammo shortage of 2013 has been hard on all firearms enthusiasts not to mention even some professionals who use firearms in their careers.  .223/5.56 has risen from 25 cents a round back in 2012 to current prices of 70 cents to $1 per round for FMJ!  Other common pistol calibers have double or tripled in price as well.

I did some fuzzy math and decided it might be worth buying a .22 LR trainer rifle.  As most of you know, .22 LR has turned out to be one of the worst offenders in terms of inflation and scarcity.  Fortunately, a lot of folks were prudent and laid in .22 LR prior so they can take advantage of this idea.

I bought a S&W M&P 15-22 which came with one 25 round magazine.  I picked up two more 10 round magazines off of a website.  From what I understand, they are easily converted to the 25 round version.  I will be sure to report on how that goes in the near future.

I have to say that out of the box it is a blast to shoot!  Obviously, the super low recoil has something to do with that and the fact that you do not hear the "ka-ching" of money every time you pull the trigger helps.  I took it to my local range this past weekend and sighted in the iron sights at 25 yards using CCI standard velocity .22 LR ammo.

The idea is to get it setup as close as possible to my 5.56 chambered AR.  I will be chronicling the progression of my .22 LR trainer project and totaling the cost of just the gun itself and any accessories.  Then, at the end of it we can do a real math comparison and see just how much bang for my training buck I really got out of going down this path.  Until next time.

Project .22 LR Trainer Carbine
Rifle + One Mag = $595
2 10 round Mags = $30
Red Dot = ????
Sling = ????
Weapon mounted light = ????
Buttstock = ????
Pistol Grip = ????
Total = $625

2 comments:

  1. I could kick my own ass for not buying a S&W .22 and a ton of .22 ammo back when both were cheap. But... other priorities and lack of money really put a crimp on that.

    Of course with .22 at $80 a brick now.... probably wouldn't be doing much shooting anyway.

    Ah well- hindsight is 20/20- If I'd have seen this coming I'd be a rich man right now.... haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly lucked out on my .22 LR situation. I was able to pick up almost 3500 rounds just as the panic buying started. Otherwise, I'd be in the same boat. It certainly is a good lesson to always buy a box of ammo and put it back for a rainy day.

      Delete