Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Range Report 6-21-13

It has been a while since I posted a range report.  Actually, it had been a while since I even made it to an actual range.  I had gone shooting with my wife out on her grandparent's land back in May.  With our strange spring, and all of our personal and business travel, I had been hard pressed to make it out to one of the local public ranges.

I took three of my pistols with me: a Ruger SR-22, my EDC M&P 9c and a Kahr PM9.  My goal for this session was just focusing on the basics, but in particular I concentrated on watching the front site come back down on to the target after taking a shot.  The range I was at does not allow for rapid fire of any kind.  So, no controlled pairs for me this time around.

First up, the SR-22:


Focusing on the front site seemed to help tighten up my groups.  The bottom group was the last group I shot.  I started pushing them down a bit for some reason.

Next up was the M&P 9c:


Okay, I have to make a confession, this was my third target of the day.  The second was horrendous.  I was anticipating the recoil of the pistol and after the first two shots I was all over the bottom of the target instead of the center.  As soon as I perceived that I was flinching, I immediately unloaded the gun and practiced dry firing 5-6 times before continuing.  So that brought me to my third target, which is above.  The right side was first.  As you can see, I still had a flier (which I stopped to dry fire for), but this was much better than the target that we will not be seeing.  The left was obviously even better.  I was fairly certain that all my shots were there.  The hole was so ragged that I could not count all ten rounds.  However, I felt like the shots were placed there so I will go with that.

I shot one last group with my M&P on the last target and then went to the Kahr PM9:


The Kahr surprised me!  I had anticipated it being the toughest of all three to shoot.  However, my groups were not too terrible.  I did have two complete misses on the left side (from what I can tell).  However, once I got in the groove, the shots all were fairly tight.  The top group had all shots present.

So, what did I learn from this outing?  First, that dry fire really does improve your skills.  I had taken instruction from the folks at DVC Training and the dry fire drills during live fire practice sessions was one of the things they emphasized when practicing the basics.  I will be doing more dry fire drills at home (I had been slacking).  The second lesson learned was that going several weeks without firing my pistol is not acceptable.  It is always said that marksmanship is a perishable skill.  This is entirely true.  I think that I will start looking at joining an indoor range that is nearby.  If it is more convenient for me to make it over there, then chances are I will go more often.

If you have any suggestions on drills or tips, then please post in the comments below.  I always welcome new thoughts or suggestions to help myself improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment