Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Gone Fishing

A cousin from out of country came to visit from Lebanon (yes, the country, not Lebanon, MO) this past weekend.  The Boss, the Girl and I loaded up the truck and made it down to my parent's place in Wichita, Ks to see him.  They have a pond in their backyard and so I packed my pole and tackle.

I walked out back for 20 to 30 minute fishing sessions here and there over the course of the weekend.  I ended up catching six fish!  For me, that is great.  Here is some proof:

The first catch only took me 3-4 casts.  My nephew helped out on this one.  It was just a little thing.  Turns out that most of the fish I would catch were this size.

Nephew and I with the first catch of the weekend.  I caught all my fish on green rubber lizards.  The bass in the pond were koo koo for that lure.

The next fish was the largest of the weekend.  It was probably about 10 inches.  Unfortunately, it had swallowed my lure.

Trying to dig out that lure.
Alas, I could not get the lure out.  The fish was belly up shortly after.

RIP fishy.
Here was the third catch of the weekend.

5 of the 6 I caught were basically this size.
I probably fished for no more than 2 hours total.  I got 6 fish and way more bites.  I think the lizard was definitely attracting them, but it probably was a bit large for the smaller fish to chomp down on.  All in all it was good practice on setting the hook right away on a hard hit or, if I felt a nibble, waiting slightly and then setting the hook.

Hopefully, there will be more fishing in the coming weeks.  Have any of you been out fishing yet?  Thanks for stopping by.

3 comments:

  1. Not yet. We're moving out of the house we've been in for almost 4 years and the last 2 1/2 weeks have been spent packing and hauling. We bought a house but the closing isn't until July 18th at 3pm. Where we are staying is about a quarter mile from a great trout stream that is always packed with brook trout. Last year I caught and released about 40 from the bridge. Many were about only 5 or 6 inches, but some were as big as 12 and one was almost 14 (same size as my shoe.) I will definitely be getting my license and trout stamp this year. If I could only find my fillet knife...after I filleted my 3 crappies (caught on my first day out within a 5 minute period) it disappeared. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never fished for trout. Sounds like you have a good opportunity to do so this year. Good luck finding your fillet knife!

      Also, congrats on the new house! Hopefully it is a nice upgrade for you all.

      Delete
  2. I haven't, but need to. How's the old saying go? "A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work."

    ReplyDelete