Thursday, June 19, 2014

Parts Deluge and Unfortunate Opportunities to Learn

The cliche "When it rains, it pours" certainly applies to this past few days.

My newest project(s) has involved two stripped lowers.  One will eventually become a standard carbine lower and the other a pistol lower.  I'll do a more detailed write up about the pistol build in particular at a later time.  However, I could not help myself and I started on the carbine lower last night.  I had never put together a lower receiver from its individual parts.  Here is a list of the following parts I used for the carbine lower receiver:
I did a fairly good job of not screwing up if I do say so myself.  My only screw up was minor marring of the finish on the "ears" where the bolt catch roll pin should go in.  Subsequently, the only thing left undone is the bolt catch and staking the castle nut.  I found that no way could I get it in with the tools I had on hand.  So, I held off and ordered a punch set, roll pin holder set, finishing hammer and a special bolt catch punch all from Brownell's.  This will make the subsequent pistol lower receiver build easier. I had to get creative to also get the trigger guard roll pin in without using a punch.  Having the right tools will make both roll pin insertions much easier.  Staking the castle nut requires a punch (unless someone else has done it another way?).

It's very minor, but there is some slight marring from my attempt to get the roll pin to seat.  It's up to the right of the hole on the bolt catch "ear".


Switching gears, the house has seen better days.  As I type this, the insurance adjusters (I think that is what you call them?) are checking my roof for hail damage from a pretty big hail storm on May 10th.  The dog tripped over a power cord and ripped the face of one of our wall outlets out last week.  And the latest was last night's leaking pull down faucet hose that we did not realize was leaking until it had flooded the cabinetry and onto the wooden floor.

Dog did a number on the socket.

I know nothing about roofing and it is covered by insurance so I do not think I will be tackling that one.  However, I have wired electrical outlets to already laid out wires in the past.  I refreshed my memory on YouTube and went to the home improvement store to pickup a voltage meter and a new outlet.  It should be easy peazy.  I just need to swap it out at a time I know my wife will not miss some electricity for a few minutes.

I also think I am going to take a crack at the faucet leak.  This "How To" webpage describes exactly what is going on with my leak.  Hopefully just replacing a seal or the whole hose will take care of the problem.

So, as you can see, it has been a week full of opportunities to learn new skills.  I hate it when things break or need maintenance around the home.  However, I embrace being able to try and fix it and learn something new.  Of course, within reason!  I encourage anyone reading this to try and fix "it" yourself next time a minor repair need pops up.  YouTube is your friend and you might just learn a thing or two while saving a few bucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment