Wednesday, July 16, 2014

PT and Range Time

The past few days have been productive, but non-eventful.  This past Friday I ran to the local indoor range and put about 100 rounds through the Smith & Wesson M&P9c.  I focused on one handed shooting.  I am a decent shot with my right, but my left hand kept pushing my shots slightly right of my point of aim.  I will try again next time and do a little more diagnosis.

I tried to practice double taps, but was promptly yelled at by an employee.  I knew there was no "rapid fire", but apparently double taps are not allowed either.  I get they have to account for the lowest common denominator, but it sure puts a damper on realistic practice.  Chances are pretty high that I will not be waiting 1 second in between shots in a life threatening situation.

Saturday I sighted in the Hog Hunter which is chambered in 300 Blackout (300 BLK) at the Pigeon Hill Rifle Range.  I decided on a 25 yard zero with 150 grain rounds that I purchased from Ozark Ordnance.  Having a nine inch barrel makes it difficult to know the muzzle velocity without a chronograph.  Ozark Ordnance stated that the muzzle velocity for it's 150 grain 300 BLK load from a 16 inch barrel is 1949 feet per second (fps).  I went to Hornady's website to plug in the numbers into their ballistic calculator.  I "guesstimated" the fps based on 25 fps loss per every inch of barrel.

It is clear that for the 150 grain 300 BLK Ozark Ordnance round that it really starts to take a nose dive shortly after 100 yards.  By 200 yards the round should impact about a foot below the point of aim.  Of course, this is all based on an uncertain fps and a calculator as opposed to real world data.  The main purpose of the Hog Hunter is for stealthy hunting.  That will require 300 BLK subsonic loads with a silencer attached.  So, for now, I'm satisfied with the zero and knowing my drops out to 200.

Switching gears, my physical training regimen has been fairly consistent.  I am training for two events.  The first is the Rugged Maniac.  It is similar to the Warrior Dash.  I don't plan on going balls to the wall.  However, I want to complete in a decent amount of time.  The other event will be a Go Ruck Light.  I am pretty nervous, but excited for it.  It sounds like it is an actual challenge.  It also helps that there is a cadre leader to push everyone.  Hopefully, I will not be the weakest link.

I run and hike for my steady state cardio type training.  I timed myself this past Friday on a 3.1 mile (5k) run.  I was able to knock it out in 30:00 minutes without pushing myself to the limit.  Not too bad.  My best official time is 26:00 minutes.  I think I am in striking distance of that in the next few weeks.

I've only been managing about one strength training session in the gym per week over the past few months.  I mainly do bench press, deadlift and T-bar rows.  If I get a second session in, then it is usually barbell squats, barbell overhead press and pull ups.  Here is the current regimen that has been allowing me to increase the weight on an almost weekly basis:

Day 1
Barbell Bench 5 sets of 5 reps each currently at 195 lbs.
Barbell Deadlift 5 sets of 5 reps each currently at 245 lbs.
T-Bar Rows 3 sets of 10 reps each currently at 60 lbs.

Day 2 (neglected as of late)
Barbell Squat 5 sets of 5 reps each currently at 215 lbs.
Barbell Overhead Press 3 sets of 10 reps each currently at 70 lbs.
Standard pull ups 3 x 7 with a 75 lbs of assistance.

Well, that is it for now.  If anyone has any ideas on tweaking my PT schedule or recommendations on the 300 Blackout loads or what I should zero at, then please feel free to chime in.  I always appreciate the input.

No comments:

Post a Comment