Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Physical Training: New regimen

With the New Year, comes a new physical training (PT) regimen.  I had been doing heavy lifts (mostly deadlifts when pressed for time) and rucking on the weekends, but with my future full of GORUCK events and my past performance in the last Challenge, I knew that I needed better programming.

I took a page out of John Mosby's The Reluctant Partisan.  Here's a sample of what I will be doing for the foreseeable future:

Week 1 and 2 series

Mon
Front Squats 5 x 5 (or Goblet Squat as an alternative)

WOD (Workout of the Day)
Complete all rounds for time 10/9/8/7/6/5/4/3/2/1
50# sandbag step ups
50# sandbag turkish getups
70# KB swing


Wed
Power or Hanging Clean 5 x 3

WOD
As many rounds as possible in 10 minutes
5 chin ups/ pull ups
10 parallel bar dips
15 50# Sandbag situps

Fri
Bench Press 5 x 5

WOD
Every minute on the minute for 10 minutes:
6 reps - With ruck, 8 cnt bodybuilder

Week 3 series

Mon
Back Squat 5 x 5

WOD
TBD

Wed

Deadlift 5 x 5

WOD
TBD

Fri

Push Press 5 x 5

WOD
TBD

Note, that after the third week, that I rotate back to the week 1 series of exercises.

Concerning the WODs: This is what I am doing for the first week, but the second week could be a totally different set of WODs.  Some of the things that I take into consideration include not programming a WOD in such a way that it focuses on movements or exercises that would be focused on the heavy lift that I just did.  For example, I would not do a weighted pushup WOD after doing a bench press heavy lift.

The other consideration when programming my WODs for the week is to actually have some outdoor cardio.  For example, 400 meter sprints followed by rest in the outdoors is something that needs to be incorporated.  The temptation to limit the WOD to the gym must be avoided.

Concerning the "Big Lifts":  These should stay constant.  The idea is to generate absolute strength and changing the programming does not allow for gains in the respective lifts.

John Mosby does an excellent job on expanding on his reasoning which is solid and based on CrossFit (among other systems) and good old fashioned PT principles.  I highly recommend his book "The Reluctant Partisan" (be prepared for the sticker shock... but the price is very worth it).  He covers much more than just PT which may or may not be to your taste.  I'll probably be doing a review of the book once I have finished it.

Any suggestions for WODs to pair up with my heavy lifts?  I'm open to all suggestions!

4 comments:

  1. I look forward to seeing your review on Mosby's book. I've been thinking about it, but so far the price has held me back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I considered it a Christmas gift to myself. I'm only about a 1/3 of the way through it. I'll definitely be writing about it once I make it through.

      Delete
  2. How I have put together big lifts and circuits, oh I'm sorry they are a revolutionary crossfit thing called WODs which are totally not circuits at all. Anyway poking fun aside.

    I fundamentally believe in the big lift then body weight and or circuit type programming. I also agree with you and John that big lifts need to stay pretty constant and regular.

    I have done this a couple of ways.

    1- Do the circuit with the type of accessory/ body weight exercises you would want to do anyway with that lift. Maybe on bench day you do pushups, situps and burpies in an AMRAP or something. Work some light(er) cleans into a circuit on deadlift day.

    2- Do fairly generic stuff that won't mess with your programing. Wall balls and kettle bells can let you work core muscles and get the cardio through lifting type thing.

    3- Hit cardio hard. Depending on how much you are running aside from when it pops up in a circuit this might need to be a priority.

    My general format lately has been big lifts push, pull (clean warmup into 5x5 deads), leg (5x5 back squat) sometimes with another push to hit both mil press and bench for lifts. About half the time I do some sort of circuit and the other half I just do whatever else I planned to do (dips with deads, pullups and rows with back, etc). I also try to run 3-4x a wk. Need to ruck more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info. Sounds like we are very similar in our programming. I actually need to do more running, but I really hate it. I play soccer, so I should be doing it for that alone, never mind physical fitness.

      I actually have been doing more rucking especially after doing my first two GORUCK events. If you have the spare cash and time, then I highly recommend doing one for a "gut check". And, I enjoyed it. :D

      Delete